If you buy or sell a vessel you need to negotiate with the other party if the VHF radio call sign will remain with the vessel.  The call sign and MMSI number does not automatically transfer if a vessel is sold.  Permission must be granted by the person who holds the call sign & MMSI to transfer the callsign to a new holder.  It is important the transfer process is completed to ensure accurate details are available to appropriate authorities in the event of an overdue vessel.

Please contact Coastguard on 0800 408 090 or visit www.boatingeducation.org.nz to update the associated vessel or call sign registered owner details.